If you are searching for a replacement in contrast to standard scents and need to avoid the compound-loaded colognes out there today, essential oils are a great choice. The essential oil can give you a great fragrance that makes you smell good. This article is going to be your guide in which you can learn everything about the best essential oils to replace your cologne.
Why Use Essential Oil Instead of Cologne
Many colognes contain synthetic fragrances that can be toxic and can cause allergic reactions. Fortunately, essential oils can be the best natural oil replacement for men’s cologne. Because essential oils are great ways for men to boost confidence, give a pleasant smell to the body after a rough workout, help to relax, help with concentration and focus, and also help to support the immune and circulatory systems. There are many types of essential oils that you can use as your cologne alternative. Some of which may be the best essential oils to replace men’s cologne.
The Popular Essential Oils For Men’s Cologne
Many different types of essential oils are appropriate for use in cologne; however, some are more well known than others. The most popular essential oils for men’s colognes are bergamot, cedarwood, sandalwood, basil, cinnamon, and dark pepper essential oils. These oils have the same characteristic in that they are all-natural, stimulating, and refreshing.
- Bergamot essential oils – has a powerful scent and its fragrant oil is a major component in many colognes because it has the ability to balance and blend the smell of the other fragrances and release amazing scents.
- Cedarwood essential oils – its woodsy scent of cedarwood oil is a popular ingredient in cologne and has a soothing effect. If you want to use this essential oil as a personal fragrance, put a diluted oil behind your ears, or on your wrists or underarms. You can also add a couple of drops to the cologne you are using.
- Sandalwood essential oils – the scent of sandalwood oil is a popular choice for colognes. Its satisfying and dazzling smell calms the mind and also helps to reduce stress.
- Basil essential oils – the scent of basil essential oil helps to calm, energize, and uplift the mind. It also eliminates odor-causing bacteria and also soothes headaches.
- Cinnamon bark essential oil – is a popular ingredient in spicy oriental blends and can be used to give depth to fruity or floral fragrances. The scent of cinnamon bark essential oil is sweet and spicy.
- Black pepper essential oils – The essential oil of black pepper is used in cologne. It blends almost all oils into any floral bouquet for as long as small amounts are used and the aroma and scent of this oil are pronounced.
We all have personal preferences and some fragrances even react differently to various people. The best thing about essential oils is that they can be combined in a practically unending variety of blends to suit everyone.
The Disadvantage Of Buying Cologne
Men’s colognes are man-made and manufactured to imitate naturally occurring scents. In the laboratory, they were created. It means all men’s colognes don’t come naturally.
Men’s cologne is synthetic and it is not found in nature because it is created from artificial chemical compounds. We can say that many commercial products opt for synthetic cologne because it holds its fragrance much longer than natural fragrance. Some of its fragrances are composed of 80 chemical ingredients and it varies depending on your skin type or what we call fragrance sensitivities. There are some all-founded worries over the synthetic reactions fragrance can trigger in your body. If you have sensitive skin make sure that you test first before using it to avoid skin infections or allergies.
Note: If you are planning to make or use these to touch your skin or to your clothes, just make sure to use natural fragrance instead of using synthetic.
Benefits Of Using Essential Oils As A Cologne
The benefits of using essential oil as a cologne are that it adds an elegant touch to your look and increases your attractiveness. It makes your potential partner more appealing. Here are some benefits of using men’s cologne:
- It creates a strong first impression because our sense of smell triggers memories and someone’s first impression is defined by the memory of the first encounter. And that memory will likely be positively linked to a pleasant scent.
- It can help to boost your confidence when men wear fragrant cologne. It has been shown to significantly increase your confidence with a sense of calm.
- It enriches your relationship and boosts your mood. When your mood is attractive, boosting in the eyes of your partner and you find yourself loosening up and simply being yourself.
- Essential oil sends a positive message wearing cologne telling other people that you really care about grooming yourself and properly taking care of your appearance.
Essential oils are natural; it means it comes from nature. The extracted oils are potent from aromatic parts of the plant, including the root, flower, or herb to capture their beneficial properties, flavor, and scents. It is made of 100% oil and neat which means it has not been diluted, processed, mixed, and has some additives.
Essential oils have been around for centuries in ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. These are the oils best well-known for their aromatic properties and have become popular for aromatherapy and medication for their usage.
According to a wide consensus in France, the man who uses cologne is more attractive than those who don’t. As we know, one of the important senses of the human is smell. You will be attracted to the person when you smell their cologne.
The Top 9 Men’s Colognes In The Last Decade & Ingredients
I was curious to know what type of essential oils are present in today’s most top selling male colognes so I decided to do some research and found these popular brands and the ingredients that they use.
1. Cool Water Cologne – is a sweet-smelling and aquatic aroma for men.
Suggestion: Use sandalwood essential oil as your cologne alternative because it is all-natural, and the sweet aroma soothing oil of sandalwood makes you smell fresh and helps to uplift your mind, and promotes smooth skin.
2. Joop Cologne – is an oriental scent for men that features sensuality and exoticism.
- Mandarin orange
Suggestion: Instead of using synthetic cologne, you can use a natural bergamot essential oil as your cologne replacement. The scent of bergamot essential oil helps to mitigate sensations of stress.
3. Hugo Cologne – is an extraordinary cologne for men.
- Green Apple
Suggestion: Lavender essential oil is also a good replacement for a men’s cologne because it has a natural amazing fragrance that gives you a pleasant smell, and helps promote calmness and wellness.
4. Polo Blue Cologne – the charismatic cologne for men.
- Mandarin orange
Suggestion : Since Polo Blue Cologne contains basil, why not use a natural and pure basil essential oil to replace it. Basil essential oil is rich in linalool, a naturally occurring chemical, which is good in reducing stress and promotes mental alertness and focus.
5. Obsession Cologne – a classical and sensual men’s fragrance.
Suggestion: Use patchouli essential oil as a replacement for your artificial cologne, because patchouli essential oil is purely natural and safe to use for everyone. It has a unique herbaceous aroma that helps to relax your mind and body.
6. Versace Man Cologne – a vibrant men’s cologne.
Suggestion: Cedar essential oil is a good alternative for a men’s cologne because this essential oil is naturally pure and has no other strong chemical additive. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Cedar essential oil is also good for the skin.
7. Coach Cologne – a versatile woody fragrance for men.
8. Sauvage Cologne – a fragrance with a high concentration of fierce charm.
Suggestion : If you are looking for a natural cologne alternative that lasts longer, black pepper essential oil is a great choice. It has a relaxing and endless scent.
9. Eternity Cologne – is an aromatic Fougera fragrance.
- Juniper berries
Suggestion: If you have a cologne allergy, lemon essential oil is the best alternative cologne for you. It has a citrus scent that helps to clear sinuses and reduce common symptoms of seasonal allergies.
How You Can Save Money By Using Essential Oils Instead Of Department Store Cologne
Essential oils can be found in nature. In our environment, we are surrounded by plants. The extract of the plants has its natural essential oil and has an aromatic, sweet fragrance. You can save money by using essential oil for just a small drop of it can create a very diffusive fragrance. Colognes in the department stores are composed of chemicals being added to it, that’s why it is way too expensive compared to essential oil. Moreover, you can also save your money by creating a DIY cologne using essential oil.
Essential oils are safe to use, natural and have many health benefits. Nothing is wrong with buying a department store cologne, but if you are out of budget much better to choose essential oil than a synthetic cologne.
Essential Oils Have a Longer Lasting Scent
Essential oil lasts longer than synthetic men’s cologne because it is made naturally from plants. Each shelf life oil differs from what plant they are derived from but there are some oils from the plants that may expire after two years and some will last for as long as 15 years with its proper storage, the treatment, and the dosage amount that affect the longevity of the shelf life of the oil.
The essential oil may eventually expire with this oxidation process, which causes it to lose potency as a nourishing beneficial effect. You can tell if the essential oil has expired if that oil has lost its smell, changes in color, and thickens. If you are not sure of the caution and safety of the oil then dispose of it.
My Final Verdict On Essential Oils Replacing Cologne
After spending hundreds of dollars on heavily marketed fragrances by Tom Ford and Yves Saint Laurent I found that essential oil can replace men’s cologne because of its natural aromatic scent that is made from the parts of the plants, it makes a unique gift and something different. Unlike the men’s cologne, it is made from a synthetic material. Men’s cologne is a man-made product that may vary your skin type because it is composed of some chemicals that can cause irritation to your skin if you have that sensitive one.
The smell of essential oil is great. It can reduce stress, can treat fungal infections, and also help you to sleep better. There’s a wide variety available for essential oil. They are valued for their pleasing aroma. Some claim it has powerful healing properties and has many more health benefits than men’s cologne. It reduces stress, fights fungal infection, sleep aid, and prevents disease.
So therefore, essential oil is better to replace men’s cologne. Just look at the benefits of it. But it’s up to you whatever you choose. But I suggest, essential oil is really a good choice.
Grace is a certified aromatherapist that has studied the art and science of using naturally extracted elements from plants to promote health and heal the mind, body and spirit.